[Zope-dev] [zope2] 2.12.x formal end-of-life

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon Feb 6 17:45:07 UTC 2012

Hi.

I just updated the 2.12.x branch with one last batch of bugfix
versions. I'll let the buildbots run and if there's no troubles
release one more version later this week.

I consider this to be the last maintenance release for the 2.12.x
series. From now on 2.12.x will only see security updates. I've also
put an end-date to the security support
(http://zope2.zope.org/releases), stating October 2013 as the end
date. This happens to be the end of security support for Python 2.6 -
the only Python version supported by the 2.12.x series.

This is rather long in the future, one and a half years from now. I
think that sets reasonable expectations and gives us a clear end date.
It's not meant to prohibit anyone from doing security releases after
this date - just set clear expectations to others, like Linux
distributors shipping Zope 2 and relieve me of my formal duty ;-)

The 2.13 series is going to be supported longer. How long depends on
Python 2.7's support and how Zope 4 is going to progress. At this
point there's no formal end-of-life date.

If you have concerns, please speak up.

Zope 2.x release managerly yours ;-)
Hanno