[Zope-dev] using WSGIPublisher

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Wed Jun 6 17:58:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> On 06/06/2012 12:11 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> I've looked into WSGI again at the Plone Symposium East sprint and I
>> think we should remove the middleware approach again for Zope2.
>> Primarily as we loose some features like publisher events and
>> exception views, which in practice are used by Plone.

[snip my subjective view on repoze project]

>> So I'd probably just merge back the exception and transaction
>> handling into the Zope2 WSGI publisher (keeping some of the code
>> cleanup).
>
> That could still be a reasonable choice.  Another choice would be to just
> add an integration point into the publisher which wrapped the middleware
> in at startup time, without requiring explicit configuration.

As I said above, my main concern is keeping publisher events and
exception views intact. Some of these events need to happen in code
that's currently inside repoze.* middleware. Like "before transaction
commit", "publication failure" or "publication success". For exception
handling Plone wants to load some settings from inside the database.
Mangling those into a WSGI environment is a bit tedious - having a
real Zope request/response object makes that a bit easier.

Hanno