[Zope-dev] unofficial svn mirror on github

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Fri Oct 5 14:06:17 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-05 08:47:25 +0000, johannes raggam said:

> On 10/05/2012 10:39 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 10:21 , johannes raggam <raggam-nl at adm.at>
>> wrote:
>>> I placed a note in the description, that the github repository is
>>> a unofficial mirror from svn.zope.org.
>>>
>>> I think about cloning even more relevant repositories from
>>> svn.zope.org, create a script to automatically sync it once per
>>> day and move it over to github, maybe a organisation called
>>>
>>> github.com/ZopeMirror
>>>

>>> What do you think about this?
>>
>> Hi Johannes,
>>
>> The board has decided to allow GitHub hosting for Zope Foundation
>> projects at the last board meeting, the minutes are still in the
>> approval process. We are working on the implementation. Please
>> don't create anything that will confuse people looking for
>> canonical Zope Foundation repositories. There's no need to
>> duplicate an effort that is progressing already.
>
> Thanks, this are good news.
> There is some experience with moving the SVN repository from the Plone
> community (http://collective.github.com/). Let me know if I can help here.

There is also:

- https://github.com/plone/svn-migrate

But if you are doing it by hand, it's roughly:

- Create authors.txt file (with mapping: svnuser = Git User <git at user.org>)
- $ svn2git -v --no-minimize-url --authors=authors.txt
svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/target_repo
- $ git remote add origin git at github.com:ZopeCommunity/new_repo.git
- $ git push -u origin master    # track the remote repo locally
- $ git push --all    # push all the branches
- $ git push --tags    # push all the tags

Alex

Alex Clark · http://aclark.net