[Zope-dev] zope.formlib's action decorator return Action() object, not the decorated function. Why?

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:44:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

After years and years of heavily using zope.formlib it suddenly struck
me that the zope.formlib.form.action decorator returns an Action()
object instead of the decorated function (this action object is also
added to the form's actions sequence as a "side effect" of the decorator).

I know wonder: Why?

I cannot find a use case for wanting the action object added to the
class members under the name of the decorated function. But maybe there is?

The reason I came across this "issue" is trying to improve the test
coverage of the application I'm building somewhat closer to 100% and
found that the form actions implementation *appeared* not to be covered
at all - even if there clearly are tests for these.

I tried having the decorator "just" returning the function, and at least
all zope.formlib's tests themselves do pass.

Would anyone mind if I would change the behaviour of the decorator?

Kind regards, jw