[Zope-dev] zc.recipe.paster fixed (for now)

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Feb 22 06:56:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 08:30:20AM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 01:00:02AM +0000, Zope tests summarizer wrote:
> > [8]    winbot / z3c.recipe.paster_py_265_32
>
> New failure during doctest setup:
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "c:\Python26_32\lib\unittest.py", line 270, in run
>         self.setUp()
>       File "c:\Python26_32\lib\doctest.py", line 2131, in setUp
>         self._dt_setUp(test)
>       File "c:\buildslave\z3c.recipe.paster\build\src\z3c\recipe\paster\tests.py", line 27, in setUp
>         zc.buildout.testing.install('RestrictedPython', test)
>       File "c:\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\testing.py", line 605, in install
>         if dist.location.endswith('.egg'):
>     AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'location'

There ought to be a cheat sheet for fixing z3c.recipe.paster issues.

There are two buildouts involved: the main one, which you set up
yourself and run tests in, and the testing one, created in the setUp.
The testing one gets copies of eggs from the main one, for speed reasons
(I assume).

"Could not find PACKAGE-THAT-IS-RIGHT-THERE-ON-PYPI-LOOK-LOOK!" means
one of the packages copied from the main buildout into the testing one
has new dependencies that now need to be explicitly copied over too.

  Fix: add zc.buildout.testing.install('THAT-PACKAGE', test)

"AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'location'" means
one of those packages that used to be pulled in through dependencies is
no longer a dependency, is gone from the main buildout, and therefore
cannot be copied any more.

  Fix: remove zc.buildout.testing.install('THAT-PACKAGE', test)

I've a feeling this is not the first time I'm figuring this out.

This sort of manual babysitting is counter-productive and I wish I had
the time/energy to fix zc.buildout.testing.install() to pull in all the
requisite dependencies by itself.

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development