[Zope-dev] Porting Zope to Python 3 Update

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Sat Mar 2 18:21:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-02 00:34:04 +0000, Stephan Richter said:

> Hi everyone,
>
> as the week ends, I thought I might give a brief update on the Python 3
> porting effort.
>
> According to the "Unofficial Zope on Python 3 status page"[1], about 110
> packages are ported to Python 3.3.
>
> Hanno and I worked this week on updating the ZTK configuration files and I am
> happy to announce that the ZTK passes all tests on Python 3.3! So once the
> ZODB is ported, we can start on finalizing all releases, which would pave the
> way for a ZTK 2.0 release.
>
> Marius has made great efforts on finishing the port of ZODB. All the tests pass
> now on the py3 branch for Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3. He has also removed all
> resource warnings (he started at 400+). The final task will be to integrate
> zodbpickle. zodbpickle needs some changes to properly enable the "noload()"
> method. Luckily this work will entail rewriting the dump/load of persistent
> ids to be more efficient and compatible with cPickle 2.7 pickles. (We are
> working hard on making Python 2 pickles load on Python 3!)
>
> On Wednesday, I was able to run a first Zope 3 (or should I say Bluebream?) app
> on Python 3.3. Thanks to Andrey and Albertas for porting some of the complex
> application packages. The sample application can be found in
> ``zope.paste``[2]. Note the short ZCML[3] and Paster[4] files. Thanks goes to
> everyone who helped breaking unnecessary and circular dependencies to make
> this work so well!
>
> In the process of all of the above, we have also started moving all packages
> that we are ported to Python 3 over to GitHub. I have also ported the core
> packages for Zope 2/4 and Grok already.
>
> So what's next? I am in the process of trying to port a rather large demo
> application[5] to Python 3. We are about 20 packages (that we control) away
> from that goal. Andrey is currently working on porting zope.testbrowser to
> Python 3 by changing its internal implementation from mechanize to WebTest
> (since it is too hard to deal with mechanize). Also, we will have a serious
> look at ZEO.
>
> I hope I got some of you interested in thinking about porting applications to
> Python 3.

Yes! Very exciting update, thank you. And speaking of old libraries
supporting Python 3, in case anyone needs PIL with their Python 3 Zope
apps, I could use some help testing the soon-to-be-released Pillow 2.0
(PIL fork) with Python 3 support:
git://github.com/python-imaging/Pillow.git.

--
Alex Clark · http://about.me/alex.clark