[Zope-dev] Switching zope.testbrowser to webtest instead of mechanize

Andrey Lebedev andrey.lebedev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 18:40:23 UTC 2013

Hello zope-dev,

As you may already know, there is an effort to port zope packages to
Python 3 going on. As part of this effort we want to port zope.testbrowser.

Unfortunately, mechanize package, that zope.testbrowser depends on has
no py3 support. There is an unfinished effort at [1], however, after
closer examination of the codebase and state of the port, it seems more
practical to switch internal implementation of zope.testbrowser to webtest.

So far, it seems webtest has all the features needed to do the switch. I
started a branch at github ([2]) to track work in progress. The goal is
to make most (say 80%) of existing tests to work without modifications
under new implementation.

[1] http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~adevore/mechanize/
[2] https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/tree/webtest

--