[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:04:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

I wonder if there is a formal or informal write-up of how to "nicely"
contribute code to the repositories under the zopefoundation umbrella.

Back in the subversion days I would branch a project, amend code, write
tests, commit this to the repository, ask for feedback on the list, and,
when deemed acceptable, merge my changes back to the project's trunk,
perhaps even make a release of the project.

Yesterday I wanted to add a small feature to zope.formlib and wondered
whether I should:

1) clone the "canonical" zope.formlib repository, make a branch, do my
work, push the changes, ask for feedback on the list and eventually
merge the branch to the mainline.

or

2) fork the repository, make a branch in the fork, do my work, push the
changes to my fork, and issue a pull request.

The latter is what I did, without explicitly asking for feedback.
Luckily someone did give me feedback (thanks!) :-)

Now that I mended the pull request, should I merge the pull request
myself? Or is the current etiquette that someone else should merge the
pull request?

My apologies in case I missed an obvious document or reference somewhere
that describes the way "we" should work with the zopefoundation's
codebase...

kind regards, jw