[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Sep 17 14:58:11 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:47:42AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> >> Now that I mended the pull request, should I merge the pull request
> >> myself? Or is the current etiquette that someone else should merge
> >> the pull request?
> >
> > I think it's fine to merge own pull requests, provided that somebody
> > +1'd it.  (Or if nobody cared for a couple of weeks, even after asking
> > for feedback on the list.)
>
> I strongly prefer that the reviewer do the merge.

FWIW the only reason I'm in favour of self-merges is that this
short-circuits the "have you signed the ZF committer agreement?" dance.
Only people who have can merge.

I also feel silly when I ask this question from people with very
familiar names.  (I feel that I have to do when I don't see ZF
membership on their GitHub profile.)

> I'd also really like reviewers to take their responsibility
> seriously, making comments and suggestions where appropriate.

Oh, absolutely.

> Software review, done well, improves the software, and, more
> importantly, improves the developers.

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development