[Zope-dev] Zope Python 3.2 compatibility

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Wed Jan 27 14:17:17 CET 2016

Hi,

Together with Johannes I have made a pull request for zope.publisher.
Tests run on Travis in all Python versions except Python 3.2.  See
https://travis-ci.org/zopefoundation/zope.publisher/builds/105156787

The tests pass fine on Python3.2 on my laptop.  On Travis it goes wrong
while creating a virtualenv.  The reason is that the pip version no
longer supports 3.2.  You then run into basically this error:

$ python3.2
 >>> u''
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     u''
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

$ python3.3
 >>> u'.'
'.'

As Marius asked on the pull request
(https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.publisher/pull/10) I am raising
the question: do we want to keep supporting Python 3.2 in Zope?
Quoting him: "The Zope project as a whole needs to make a decision about
continuing to support Python 3.2 now that large parts of the ecosystem
no longer support it."

I would say we can drop it.
That would mean removing py32 from the Travis/tox files.

We might want to add py35 support instead, but that needs some test
updates it seems.  At least for zope.publisher it works, except for two
failures like this:

AssertionError: "Illegal key 'ldap/OU'" != 'Illegal key value: ldap/OU'

But we can handle py35 another time.

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/
Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl