[Zope-PAS] Re: New IChallengePlugin interface

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Oct 4 13:09:38 EDT 2004

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Also, I think that a challenger that doesn't interoperate with
>> anything else should have None as it's protocol.  Then the PAS
>> can do the book keeping any way it wants.
>

> That makes it slightly more complex, since you need to break out of the
> loop in a None-challenger succeeds.

You don't have to.

The PAS knows that if the challenger doesn't have a protocol,
then it can't interoperate with anythng else.  The simplest thing,
if such a challenger fires is to break out of the loop, but other
implementations are possible.

> Otherwise other None-challengers
> might be called... And also, how to differentiate between no challenge
> and a None challenge being called? ;)

You know that a challenger doesn't belong to a protocol
if it's protocol is None.  You can tell of a plugin fired by
whether it returns True.

> Hmm...Of course, we could do:
>
>   protocol = None
>
>   for plugin in plugin:
>       plug_protocol = getattr(plugin, 'protocol', None)
>       if plug_protocol is None:
>           plug_protocol == plugin.getId()

Or even:
             plug_protocol = plugin

>       if protocol == '' or protocol == plug_protocol:
                     ^^^^^ is None

>           if plugin.challenge(request, response):
>               protocol = plug_protocol
>
>   if protocol is None:
>       fallback()

Right. That's one possibility.

> That actually covers both protocol = None and no protocol attribute at
> all, both meaning that the plugin will run by itself. Not very
> complicated either.
>
> Does that work?

Works for me.

Jim