[Zope-PAS] Re: RFC: PAS caching

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sun Oct 10 06:52:10 EDT 2004

After considering the comments so far and taking a closer look at the
RAMCacheManager I have come up with an idea along the lines of Tres'
suggestion:

- Inside the PAS instance it is possible to create RAM Cache Manager
objects
- Plugins for which caching makes sense mix in the ZCacheable mixin
class, and thus become "registerable" with these cache managers

This solution leverages the existing cache manager architecture which
has been around for a long time and seems to offer enough flexibility.
It also satisfies my pet peeve of plugins not having to know about or
talk to the central PAS instance.

The needed changes would include...

- Changing PAS to allow creation of RAM cache managers
- Changing plugins to mix in ZCacheable and making use of the
appropriate ZCacheable API when it comes to
retrieving/changing/inserting data

Does that sound like a good idea?

jens

Jens Vagelpohl			jens at zetwork.com
Software Engineer			Zope - done medium rare
Zetwork GmbH				http://www.zetwork.com/