[Zope-PAS] General question about PAS usage

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Feb 21 04:51:26 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 12:37, Janko Hauser wrote:
> It seems there is a general trend for the established Zope-CMS's to
> migrate to PAS. At the current state of PAS this will be done by
> subclassing or by monkeypatching. PPAS has added API's for the
> usermanagement and also added further plugins. If I understand it
> right it also has changed the id-mangling.
>
> I also do not see a way to distribute plugins standalone, as there is
> no API to add plugins after the instantiation of a pluginregistry.
>
> My concern is, that this will lead to incompatible changes in the
> different projects. From reading the archives the id-mangling is a
> fundamental feature, which will reflect back to the code of the
> plugins.
>
> So my question is, how other users of PAS do want to deal with this
> situation and what will be the general direction PAS-development will
> take. Should it actually become the main userfolder implementation? If
> yes, would it be worthwhile to integrate it into the Zope-core code?
> At the moment PAS is more of an insider product, and will remain so,
> as there is no real enduser documentation.

IMHO a lot of people who write these extensions and extended products
have the attitude that it's easier to just concentrate improvements in
their own product than giving much thought to improving the underlying
base product for all of us.

Part of that is understandable when you realize how hard it is at this
moment to get anyone's attention at ZC (who still shepherds the product
in some way) because no one has time there.

But at another level it kind of makes me mad.

jens