[Zope-PAS] Re: Eggification redux

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 25 08:06:21 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2007, at 13:20 , Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> Grok's problems are primarily related to the lack of a working
>>> set definition for Zope 3.
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by this.
>
> There are several problems.
>
> * We've had to nail some of the versions because buildout was being
> a bit over-zealous when getting eggs on Windows. It would take the
> newest egg, despite the fact that other eggs had binary releases. I
> guess that's not its fault. But it's a working set problem.

It's probably a setuptools problem.  It would probably make sense to
give buildout a switch to prefer binary releases where they are
available.  (Perhaps the new prefer-final option would help here.)

> * When package A depends on Y and package B also depends on Y, but
> with some version restrictions, buidout will first try to get the
> newest version of Y when installing A. But then when installing B,
> it is likely that it has to get a different version of Y. The
> result is a version conflict. This could also easily be fixed with
> a working set that dictates which versions would be used from the
> beginning.

IN the long run, this would be better served by a better algorithm
for constructing setuptools working sets.

BTW, since "working set" has a rather important meaning for
setuptools, I'd rather we find a different term for what you are
talking about.

> * Even with newest=false enabled in grokproject's buildout.cfg
> template, the versions that people will end up when trying out grok
> are non-deterministic. This has led to people installing newer
> versions of something, sometimes even faulty releases, even though
> Grok hadn't been tested with these newer versions yet and older
> versions that were known to work were the better choice. Again, a
> working set problem.

Right, but I don't understand how having one of these things for Zope
3 would help.  After all, a new package that is tested and added to
the 3.4 release might still not work well with Grok.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation