[Zope-PAS] Re: Eggification redux

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 25 10:42:30 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

>>> ... which would require having access to the dependency data before
>>> installation.
>>
>> No, not really, at least not in buildout's case.  It's really not
>> that big a deal to download a distribution that you ultimately don't
>> use.
>
> If we can keep setuptools from prematurely installing downloaded eggs,
> sure;

I'm not sure what you are saying.  I maintain that downloading eggs
you don't use is not that big a deal. Avoiding this is just an
optimization.

> at the moment, it is trivial to get setuptools into a "false
> conflict" situaltion, because it processes dependencies incrementally,
> rather than solving the "transitive closure" of the graph before
> attempting to install anything.

Sure, but this doesn't have anything to do with whether you download
or not.  It may be a consequence of the fact that setuptools tries to
hard to figure out what to use without downloading enough. There is a
similar problem with extras.

>> I agree it might be better if the index made dependency data
>>> available.
>
> Not exposing the dependency information in the index seems like a
> missing-feature-is-really-a-bug to me.

Likely.   A problem is that there are 2 sigs when there really ought
to be one.  The distutils sig isn't demanding enough of the catalog-
sig for changes to the index and the catalog-sig is somewhat
grudglingly responsive.  Some of this has to do with the fact that
people who want catalog features really ought to help with
implementation, but people who want the features don't have the time
to learn the catalog app enough to enhance it.  It would be nice if
one of us was willing to become a catalog contributor so we could get
some things done we need. Not it! :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton