[ZWeb] FYI: Font cleanup

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 21:10:46 -0400

Paul Everitt wrote:

> Ahh, I finally, finally got sick enough of the inconsistent fonts and
> the huge PRE/CODE fonts that I made a quick fix.

I take it you didn't like the behavior of fonts under IE 5.x?

> Now <LI> is the same
> size as <PRE>, and <CODE> and <PRE> are both 10pt.

And you promptly broke it for nutscrape navelgazer users.  Specifying a
fixed point size is essentially a Very Bad Thing (tm).  Relative point
sizes are permissable.

I will look into assuring that fonts are defined consistently, but this
means using relative sizes.

Note that IE as well as mozilla have a "Font Scale" facility in the
menubar: this allows people who are, say, hard of seeing to increase the
point size and those looking for 9pt or 10pt fonts can reduce their
size.

> Now that I know 5,000 times more about CSS, I plan to fix it.  Here's
> how.  I'll change 'standard_html_header' to:
>
> if authenticated and the member has a property 'css_url':
>   set the stylesheet link to point there
> else:
>   use the current stylesheet

This sounds fine.  Moreover, you can put a local_css file anywhere where
you have special styles you want pages to display.

--
ethan mindlace fremen
Zopatista Community Liason