[ZWeb] Getting it done redux

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:18:58 +0000

I've gone over the mails from the last few days, and I've come up with
the following overview (without credits to those who've contributed,
sorry).  If anyone objects to me being bossy please shout me down.

1.  Organisation

    - people who will contribute regular time.
    - some form of project management.
    - realistically, we may need to explore ways of getting paid for
      contributions (creative billing of clients, for example).
    - community feedback on proposals in single-click surveys.
    - involve key ZC people directly.
    - Paul needs sysadmins
    - Achievable first goal
    - need to be willing to hassle and be hassled

Paul has suggested a directory of personnel.  I propose starting one
off in a wiki (sorry ;)) and looking at moving it elsewhere later.
Let's get an idea of the skills we have as a group.   Most important
are (a) that you only put your name up if you're willing to contribute
a minimum amount of time a week, (b) you give a list of the things
you'd like to do.  Then we can discuss roles and overlaps and things.

Assuming this is OK, could anyone willing to commit time and skills
to the 'kickstart the community' project add their details at:

 http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/PeopleWhoCanContribute

I know Casey Duncan, Lennart Regebro and Alan Runyan have all said
they could dedicate some time, so far.  I've put myself in.

Paul, could you arrange for anyone with an interest at ZC to do the same?

Once we've got a group of people together, I'd suggest we sort out a
chat on irc to discuss process, priorities, etc.  End of the week,
maybe.

2. Some Commonly Requested Features / Ideas

   - better documentation
     - better howtos
     - use zopelabs for recipies
     - someone has committed themselves to taking over the
       documentation page on zope.org
     - there should be a corner of zope.org devoted to research
       materials, etc

   - product packaging
   - email notification systems
   - unified collector / fishbowl?
     - self-cleaning workflow
     - collaborative editing
     - can collect pre-proposal stage discussion
     - delegation

   - sourceforge-like project areas
     - in-place comments / discussions relating to products
     - cvs trees
     - collector for each one?

   - Zope internationalization
     - I feel this is not strictly to do with kickstarting the
       community, but perhaps that's because I'm an anglophone?  Is
       i18n of zope.org a prerequisite of getting a critical mass for
       the community?

Well, that's my summary.  Have I missed anything out?

seb