[ZWeb] Getting it done redux

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 07:48:29 -0500

seb bacon wrote:

> I'm happy with this in principle, and having a 'client' is important;
> however, I'm not sure that ZC *has* to retain the right of last vote?
>
> If the community thing is going to work, I think we're all agreed that
> it has to be run by the community, with ZC as a leading player in that
> community.  However, if ZC can veto everyone else, I think some people
> might have problems with this.  I don't think this is what you're
> suggesting; however, I do think roles and responsibilities need to be
> *clearly* set out from the beginning.

This is a good point -- if we don't confront these issues early, then
we're likely to have hard feelings later.

Here's my feeling on this.  There are certain levels of service and
commitments for zope.org that can't be ducked.  For instance, if all the
threads hang and the app continually locks up, it isn't acceptible for
zope.org to stay down.

I don't think this group is formed enough and has enough history yet to
say, "We'll commit to doing whatever it takes to make it work."  Thus,
ultimately ZC has to stand behind zope.org if everyone else is too busy.

Also, let's face it -- we're shelling out a bit of dough each month to
run the thing.  It's a bit of money.

If this group turns into a success, then let's talk about handing over
the veto.  Right now, though, I think it's too much pressure to put on
the group as it's trying to form.  One step at a time.

> In a sense, for zope.org improvements, the whole community is the
> client.  Again, ZC is part of that community.  ZC collectively has the
> right to some special consideration, both as Collective Zope Dictator for
> Life, and as the organisation providing the infrastructure.

Agreed that the community is the ultimate customer.  But just like in a
consulting engagement, the customer has customers, and the customer is
the agent for those customers.  When this group is ready to be the agent
(and all the responsibility that means), then we should talk about next
steps.

> I don't really know what to suggest, however.  Things like a zope.org
> committee spring to mind, with community representatives and
> guaranteed ZC representation.  Hmm.  I suppose this was always going
> to be a lot of work...

Yep.  Let's pick some achievable goals and try and makes some progress.

--Paul