[ZWeb] Newbie thoughts on zope.org re-org

Trevor Toenjes zope@toenjes.com
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:45:34 -0500

Sorry, I havent read all threads in the last 24 hours, and this got caught
in my queue.

> I think it is probably important for the life of the site, to tempt all
> those developers back to zope.org.

Does ZC share this sentiment? Can ZC support opening their servers to
satisfy this project?  Does centralization serve the community?  Or is ZC
the only ZEO that can support the traffic?

I agree that products should be organized in a Zope system.  And addressing
how products are released, documented, supported, updated, commented on,
rated by users, etc, should be a TOP priority to make our community easier
to access.

I thought part of Zope-web was to coordinate efforts between the different
ZWeb landlords?  Correct me if this is just about zope.org.
If ZopeLabs does recipes well, then support Alan to continue if he wants to
build it.
If he is doing it to make up for weaknesses at zope.org, and would support
us by adding his functions to zope.org, that is a wonderful for all of us.
How about it Alan?  From someone that is supporting a Zope community site,
what is your thoughts?
Maybe one site for Products.  One site for Recipes.  The fishbowl and ZDev
will stay with ZC.

One issue to solve ..."It needs to be clear where to go to find resources as
a newcomer."

And use the XML-RPC capabilities to share meta-data across sites, not just
from zope.org.  So you could find relevant recipes on ZopeLabs from a search
elsewhere.
Standardize on a community search mechanism across all sites that are part
of an official Zope-Web.  This search form could be shared by all Z-webs.

>>This should be an integral part of the Products Product as well. (e.g.
http://www.zope.org/Members/haqa/products_xml/view_source )

You got my vote.

I guess in the end, I would like to also see this approached for Product
development's sake too, supported by many people across the community
(starting with the team Seb is recruiting).  The site would be the beta and
solicit feedback for improvements and support official releases of the
Product.

Seb should be sending the first agenda soon so we can get going.
I prefer action to talking.
Let's not spend too much time chatting and attack the basic problems and let
a path of development begin to take shape.  Start with baby steps to show
the community and ZC that we can accomplish something.  Then build on little
successes as everyone becomes comfortable with a new "shared responsibility"
process.

Cheers,
Trevor