[ZWeb] Newbie thoughts on zope.org re-org

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 14:50:07 -0500

Regarding product certification...I share Chris' concerns about how to
pull it off.  But here's a different take...

It's a challenge to get developers to adhere to standards.  Even on
things like writing a little help file, writing unit tests, etc.  There
just isn't much incentive.

I talked with Matt Kromer here about a way to provide an incentive on
this.  As some may know, Zope3 is being developed in a way where
interfaces and unit tests are written before the code.  Unit tests are
thus an integral part of the process.  In fact, zope-coders gets an
email every night showing the state of the Zope CVS.

Mozilla has a similar thing, though much more sophisticated, with tinderbox.

Imagine that we deeply instituted this by allowing product developers
that "play by the rules" to have their unit tests run on the zope.org
unit tester every night, with a report published to the web.  That is,
every night zope.org would check out Zope, publish the unit test
results, then do the same for all participating products.

It isn't perfect, just as unit tests are perfect.  But it's useful,
attractive, and pretty sexy.  Even better, I think it would help
implement the new sentiment that we all work together better.

--Paul