[ZWeb] Newbie thoughts on zope.org re-org

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
14 Dec 2001 20:54:50 -0700

On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 04:06, Chris Withers wrote:

Geez, where did this week go? %^}

> Bill Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Here is something else I've been thinking about too. At my day job, one
> > of my tasks is Mickeysoft certification of hardware. The though has
> > occurred to me that ZC could do something like that, for third-party
> > products. Something like this:
> >
> >  o Developer creates Zope products that does nifty stuff
>
> yup
>
> >  o Developer submits product for certification to the a set of
> >    "standards", such as perhaps compliance with a Zope Standard Base
>
> That should be part of the server-side package management process but...
>
> >  o ZC charges a small fee, perhaps variable by the complexity of the
> >    app.
>
> ...if you do that, no-one will bother. Can you imagine AKM paying to have
> ExUserFolder certified or me (or technically Butch) to have Squishdot certified?

It wouldn't have to be *mandatory*. But if you wanted that extra
"sticker" on your product, and some might, you could pay for "official"
testing, much like in hardware. You don't *have* to certify your mouse
(!) works on MSW, but people that like having it there for people that
care (*cough* businesses*cough*), it is available.

Besides, if someone else is carrying out testing for your product, it
only seem srightthey get some compensation. :)

Of course, like I think I said, there can be a sort of "self certify"
process, where you would submit your logs of the test to ZC, for people
that have demonstrated the capability to do such things honestly.

So for people like you, or AKM, who have a demonstrated ability and/or
credibility, ZC would accept the logs, perform a quick review, and give
you your lollipop, err, I mean your seal of Approval sticker. :)

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Bill

--
Bill Anderson