[ZWeb] [IDEA] project urls

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:13:01 -0500

I've let this idea percolate for a while, and I gotta admit that I like
it.  Here's my attempt to trace it back to my goals.

I think Zope should grow 10x in the next year, and getting there
requires spreading the responsibility around.  This means that Zope
needs to be broken down into areas of responsibility.

Zope3 has the same goals: eat Zope one bite at a time, remove or replace
the pieces you don't like, etc.

In an email on the Eurozope list, I floated the following approach:

"""
I like this point.  I've been keeping a list of the major "domains"
that might be a part of Zope3.  The list is on a whiteboard at work,
but off the top of my head: internationalization, persistence,
cataloging, workflow, user management, packaging, templates, object
relational, security, ...

Zope3 has a goal of being more modular.  We also have a goal to open
up more to the community at let non-ZC people have leadership.  Under
this bullet, we'd have a diagram on the Zope3 page listing each domain
and the 1-3 people in charge of that domain.  Within that domain we'd
list some activities and who's running them.  Each domain would manage
the APIs in that domain, the unit tests, the docs, etc.
"""

This sounds like some overlap with your approach.

--Paul