[ZWeb] Zope.org wikis change-restricted for hour or two from *11:00am* today, Jan 16 today, Jan 16

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:24:53 -0500 (EST)

We're having some logistical delays getting started, so we haven't and
won't be shutting down the wiki page changes until 11:00.  I'll post
another note when they're back and ready...  Sorry about the time shifts!

Ken

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:37:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Manheimer <klm@digicool.com>
To: zope-announce@zope.org, zope-web@zope.org
Subject: Zope.org wikis change-restricted for hour from 10:00am tomorrow,
     Jan 16

At 10:00 tomorrow (tuesday, Jan 16) we're going to be upgrading all
the wikis on zope.org.  All the wikis on the site will be restricted
against changes for an hour, if everything goes smoothly, hopefully
within 2 hours if there are unexpected problems.  This upgrade will
entail some substantial cleanup of the existing wikis, and other
changes wiki owners need to understand.  If you own or use wikis on
zope.org, please see below for details.

The changes come out of an update with a recent ZWiki release from
simon michael, and then the enhancments resulting from the WikiForNow
effort:

  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/WikiForNow

The cleanup entails the following:

  - Deletion of all zero-length wiki pages (excluding FrontPage) -
    dispose of all the inadvertant pages, many due to web spiders

  - Assignment of sensible 'Owner' local-role for poorly defaulted
    settings - the old ZWiki and ZWikiWeb products set the role to the
    product owner.  This has to be rectified since ability to regulate
    who can do what on new pages hinges on 'Owner' local role.  (See
    RegulatingYourPages.)

  - Change many of the existing standard pages and methods (HelpPage,
    TextFormattingRules, SearchPage, etc) to reflect the realities in
    the new version (and to clarify and elaborate some pieces missing
    in the existing pages)

There are many enhancments, some (like wiki operation regulations)
depend on some of these cleanups.  See

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/WikiForNow/WikiForNowDevelopments

for a thorough list.

I'll be making the changes available shortly, and forwarding them to simon
michael for inclusion, at his discretion, in the ZWiki base code.

Let me know if you have questions or concerns about the changes.

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com