[ZWeb] Re: Zope-web digest, Vol 1 #204 - 4 msgs

Donald Braman donald.braman@yale.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:40:34 -0500

From: "Andy McKay" <andym@ActiveState.com>
Subject: Re: [ZWeb] Re: optional registration/info during install

These things are a two way street, if you dont provide some value to
both parties it gets ignored and or makes people unhappy. Logging in to
Zope.org to download Zope doesnt appeal, it would add a barrier into the
download and doesnt provide a lot of value to me. Perhaps there are more
options you can add to that...

**********

I think that if you offer people options, most will provide a fair
amount of information. Of course, the greater degree of automation, the
greater response rate you'll get. Maybe something like this (but
obviously better worded) during installation would suffice:

[ ] Send information about my installation to Zope.org and inform me
about product updates and patches.*
[ ] Send information about my installation to Zope.org, but DON'T send
me information about product updates and patches.*
[ ] DON'T send any information to Zope.org

* Any information sent to Zope.org will only be used to help generate
anonymous statistics about the number and types of Zope installations
out there. If you want to see the information that would be sent to
Zope.org, click here.

If the person selected the first option, they would enter an email
address as well.

Cheerios, Don

Donald Braman
donald.braman@yale.edu