emacs does http too (Re: [ZWeb] FTP access)

Simon Michael simon@joyful.com
26 Mar 2001 09:31:30 -0800

(cc'ing the list to share bugfix & info)

Paul Everitt <paul@digicool.com> writes:
> OK, I'm curious!!

Ok! Hopefully some details of my own setup will help:

> I've tried slogging through some of the configuration and chants.
> I'm using XEmacs and couldn't get it to find zwiki-mode.el (which
> was in my home directory), so I did M-x load-file to load it.

fine; I keep mine in ~/emacs/, which is part of my load-path

> I then did M-x zwiki-browse-page, but it appears the base URL is
> hardcoded into zwiki-mode.el, so I hacked in a new base URL.

yes it is. For the moment, in my .emacs I have

(setq wiki-base-url "http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/StructuredTextWiki/")
(setq wiki-base-url "http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/")
(setq wiki-base-url "http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?")
(setq wiki-base-url "http://zwiki.org/")

so zwiki.org is the default; if I want to go somewhere else I do C-M-x
on that line to evaluate and then zwiki-browse-page. The base url is
sticky so browsing subsequent pages from that buffer will pick up the
right url.

> It also looks like "/src" is appended, which doesn't work on our
> zwikis.  I changed it to document_src.

ok, I guess Ken cleaned it up

> So now it does retrieval, but only the rendered version.

but you need the raw text which src gave. I have changed zwiki-mode.el
to use /text, which src was an alias for.

> Can you give me the right chant to get it pointed to and using a
> Zope.org wiki, or one of yours?  I'm curious as to just how this
> works.  Can I switch between view/edit?

Here's the rest of my current setup in .emacs:

(require 'message) ; ffap recommends pre-loading these
(require 'w3)
(require 'efs)
(require 'ffap)
(add-hook 'mouse-track-click-hook 'ffap-mouse-track-click)
;(add-hook 'dired-after-readin-hook 'ffap-menu-rescan)
(require 'zwiki-mode)
(zwiki-ffap-setup)
(setq ffap-url-regexp "\\`\\(news\\(post\\)?:\\|mailto:\\|file:\\|\\(ftp\\|http\\|https\\|telnet\\|gopher\\|www\\|wais\\)://\\).")
;(setq auto-mode-alist (put-alist (concat "/" wiki-link-regexp "$") 'zwiki-mode auto-mode-alist))
(global-set-key [(f12)] 'zwiki-browse-page)

So to visit eg the proposals wiki, I put point at the beginning of
that line; C-M-x; F12; "FrontPage".

NB,
- edit and view mode are the same (doesn't show rendered DTML)
- you can't click on links to navigate, at present
- saving should work and should obey edit conflict checking
- authentication should work if needed

Hope this helps - cheers,

-Simon