[ZWeb] "generic UNIX-like" and OS X

Tim Keating spike@rollerfeet.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 01:14:36 -0600

--Apple-Mail-1312074578-1

I can say with some certainty that OS X is _generally_ like other
flavors of Un*x. The exception to the rule is anything GUI-like; OS X
doesn't include an X server (ironically enough given the nomenclature),
instead using its own windowing library which I believe is called
Quartz. Or something like that.

> I just got a bug report from someone who tried to build ParsedXML on
> OS X; apparently he thought that a "generic UNIX-like" release should
> be usable there.  I don't know enough about OS X to say how reasonable
> this is (ZopeNewbies sure thinks that it is), but he's having
> compilation problems that don't happen on linux or solaris.  Assuming
> that OS X counts as Unix, I'd suggest that we should be able to choose
> from among a set of platforms for products released on zope.org, so
> that we can include OS X or not among Unices.

--Apple-Mail-1312074578-1

I can say with some certainty that OS X is _generally_ like other
flavors of Un*x. The exception to the rule is anything GUI-like; OS X
doesn't include an X server (ironically enough given the
nomenclature), instead using its own windowing library which I believe
is called Quartz. Or something like that.

</color><excerpt>I just got a bug report from someone who tried to
build ParsedXML on

OS X; apparently he thought that a "generic UNIX-like" release should

be usable there.  I don't know enough about OS X to say how reasonable

this is (ZopeNewbies sure thinks that it is), but he's having

compilation problems that don't happen on linux or solaris.  Assuming

that OS X counts as Unix, I'd suggest that we should be able to choose

from among a set of platforms for products released on zope.org, so

that we can include OS X or not among Unices.

</excerpt>
--Apple-Mail-1312074578-1--