[ZWeb] DISCUSS: Wiki subscription slowness

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:59:04 -0500

Howdy.  Yesterday I tried to do some major authoring on www.zope.org in
Wiki sites.  I got absolutely fed up with how long it was taking to save
Wiki pages and wondered what in the hades was wrong.  The load average
on the machines wasn't that high and the memory consumption was
surprisingly low.

Later Tres came over and told me the culprit: on every save to a Wiki
page, an SMTP socket connection is made for everybody that wants a
notification.

I hadn't realized that it was done this way.  Clearly this doesn't
scale, and has already hit the wall.

Three courses of action:

1) Turn off notification until it can be reimplemented.

2) Stop authoring in Wikis.

3) Move the Wiki authoring for new.zope.org requirements (nzo) over to
new.zope.org.

Suggestions?

--Paul