[ZWeb] Sucess porting Zope code to Windows XP!

Don Hopkins xardox@MindSpring.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:24:43 -0700

Wow I am really impressed at how portable Python and Zope are!
I installed MySQL, Zope, and some other necessary packages, and managed to
get all my Python code I had written for Zope and MySQL on Linux to run
under Windows XP!
It's one of those things that I didn't know how hard it would be until I
tried, and I am very impressed how easy it was, let alone that it was
possible, and took only one night!
The only non-obvious thing was getting the python MySQL extension to install
into the Zope python tree, since I was using the dumb Windows binary
installer for the python mysql extension.
It looked Python up in the registry and installed it in the wrong tree
without allowing me to specify a different directory, but I moved the Zope
python tree into the place it expected, installed again, moved it back, and
everything worked!

    -Don