[ZWeb] erm assumptions

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:48:33 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, george donnelly wrote:
> as far as the editorial part, there could be an editorial team. I'm willing
> to be a part of this and even lead it. I think the coding of the app would

Editing is not a small job.  A team sounds like a very good idea.

In this world of information overload, attention is the thing that
is at a premium.  What the ZWN did somewhat and could do better is
to sumarize the editorial teams' opinion of what is *most important*
that happened over the previous <time period>.  IMO, the old ZWNs
were too long.  I *don't* want to (and did not not) read a long
list of released packages and howtos and etc.  I'm already on the
announcements list.  The most interesting thing (aside from the
purpose-written articles) was the summary of the most interesting
threads from the mailing lists (especially the ones I don't subscribe
to <grin>).  And a *short* list of the most significant
packages/updates/howtos/pojects would be most useful.

This, obviously, is a lot more work than just automatically stuffing
the contents of a blog or mailing list into an email.  And of course
you run into the issue of hurt feelings if something isn't judged
important enough to be included.  But if the thing is just a long
list of pointers to other things, I most likely won't be reading
it <wry grin>.

--RDM