[ZWeb] REVISIT: Switch zope.org search to google

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:39:40 -0400

Andreas Jung wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:26:49AM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Olivier DECKMYN wrote:
>>
>>>How does ZCTextIndex compares to TextIndexNG ?
>>>
>>>( http://www.zope.org/Members/ajung/TextIndexNG )
>>
>>IMHO ZCTextIndex is a text index that Just Works.  You don't have to
>>learn much about it or fiddle with options.  TextIndexNG has a lot of
>>features but doesn't match the simplicity and accuracy.
>
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^
>                                               What do you mean here?
>
> TextIndexNG is a text index that also just works. It is currently
> in used by some larger websites and I use it for a large internal
> document database. So what are the differences?

For a customer project we had to get Zope to generate good text ranking.
  TextIndexNG didn't quite cut it (sorry), so PythonLabs used some
well-researched algorithms to create a new index from scratch.
ZCTextIndex has none of the cruft from the old TextIndex, and it can be
used independently of Zope or ZCatalog.

> Stemming is the hardest part but all extensions are freely
> available meanwhile as dedicated TextIndexNG-Extensions package
> and published under the ZPL.

Your work is definitely valuable, and converting your extensions to
lexicon pipeline elements would be a big win.

Shane