[ZWeb] Re: [Zope3-dev] fix zope 3 wiki urls ?

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:49:10 -0700

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 01:38  PM, Simon Michael wrote:

> The current situation is this:
>
> http://zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ - works,
> canonical
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ - used by the newsletter, works, transforms
> to..
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ -
> works
>
> http://zope.org/Zope3/ - doesn't work
>
> Proposal - could we do some or all of these things ?
> I think they will be quick to do and will not impact other sites.
>
> 1. add a SiteRoot in the wiki folder to preserve the shorter url. I
> have
>    manage access (thanks Jim) but not for that.
>
> 2. replace /Zope3 with, or add, a /zope3 alias (& make
> dev.zope.org/zope3
>    canonical)
>
> 3. add a /zope3 alias on zope.org (& make zope.org/zope3 canonical)

Would it be better to wait for NZO on this?  'dev.zope.org/Zope3' is
just a Redirector object that's in the DevSite root - put there because
Zope 3 is still a development project.  I imagine that by the time it's
not a development project, we can have a more cohesive Zope 3
information site together (or in process) running on NZO.

The redirecter object was made because
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ is
just way too long of a URL to remember and enter, especially in
Structured Text (it takes almost an entire line on its own, making it
difficult to inline and still preserve Structure).

But it was just made as a simple solution to a general annoyance.  I
don't want to change anything major on the current Zope.org site,
especially in the development section, until it's known how it will
exist in New Zope Org.

I'd rather see a structure like:

zope.org/2.6/
zope.org/2.7/
zope.org/X3/   ==> the development wiki
zope.org/3.0/  --> 3.0 information and documentation when it arrives
zope.org/3.1/  --> and 3.1

Or, quite possibly, it would be better to put a product name in front,
ala:

zope.org/zope/2.7/
zope.org/zope/X3/

We could do this now and have the URL's point to the respective
development wikis.  As final releases happen, either update the links
or information in each respective area.

As I cited earlier, it's great to be able to go to www.python.org/1.5/
and also to www.python.org/2.3/ and have a pretty good expectation of
what you'll find at each URL.

I'm crossposting this to zope-web to see what they think.