[ZWeb] Re: fix zope 3 wiki urls ?

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 18:24:16 -0700

You can use http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/FAQ.  As long as Zope 3 is in
development mode, I don't see what's wrong with that one.
Unfortunately, since it's just a redirector, the URL's get expanded
quickly to the big long ones.  But you can share those abbreviated
URL's just fine.  I'm not sure if I want to add anything that would be
doing any URL rewriting - particularly if it requires any support from
Apache, unless we want to set up a subdomain (see below).

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 05:52  PM, Simon Michael wrote:

> PS - yes, I know I'm asking ZC to do work for me and everyone there is
> busy.. I thought I was going to be able to do it and the task naturally
> led to this list. I'm hoping it's not a big technical deal and we can
> get
> this done.
>
> If not, we have a problem. Urls like
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FAQ
> make
> us look silly. :)

Yes, but it's silly that makes sense.  "Oh, a development site project
wiki about a component architecture".  Makes more sense than some of
those other URL's 0,123312,4,092,12.html?pt.x.r.233.af.y ;)

If you really want more than the redirector, let me know.  But the
advantage of the redirector is that (a) it's simple, and (b), it does
allow for sharing of any URL below the redirected point.  So
http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/DevelCookbook is there and sharable.

I think the next best thing would be a real subdomain, zope3.zope.org.
Or zope3.org.  There was some talk of this earlier that got shot down,
but I'm not sure if what got shot down was the new domain, or setting
up a whole extra server.  I'm not opposed to doing a subdomain that
just goes into the Zope 3 wiki.  I think the concern was that we'd end
up with another dogbowl or collector.zope.org that didn't quite match
the rest of the "zope.org (in)experience" at a time when we should be
unifying that experience.  But, if the subdomain is in site, like
dev.zope.org, it *shouldn't* be a problem.