[ZWeb] NZO Alpha Announcement

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:37:07 -0300

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 04:01  PM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> I made an alternate layout that's just straight text, and all done in
> pure Structured Text - no HTML.  I really dislike the combination of the
> two, which I think many people fall back on because STX's rules are
> often unclear (I know I still get surprised too much when using it, and
> I've been using it for years and years now).
>
> http://dev.nzo.zope.org/Roadmap/AlternateLayout

Looks very nice, btw.

> Oh, how I miss reStrucutredText's automatic table-of-content-generation
> abilities!

Im sure youre not the only one. Simon says (:P) that it shouldnt be hard
to add reST as an option on the current ZWiki. Simon?

>> I think that a Roadmap page is a nice candidate for a Wiki, but
>> whatever is suggested would be fine for me.
>
> Why a full Wiki on its own, just for the Roadmap?  So anyone can update
> it?  I see that as a valid want, but there's a lot of overhead just on
> the User Interface just to get a single editable page - particularly one
> that should have pretty good editorial control.    I think a small group
> of Zope.org editors can update a normal document just fine here, with
> less overhead on the software side and so on.  And since normal
> documents can have comments attached as part of the CMF framework, the
> community can still remind us to update, or add new information that the
> editors of the site can respond to.

Under this point of view, I agree with you. +1 for normal document.
Another thing that was mentioned on a mailing list somewere (Zope3-dev?)
was that we *should* have STXDocument, HTMLDocument and
PlainTextDocument instead of the funky CMFDefault document, which tries
to do it all, but would fail miserably if we tried to add reST support
to it.

> I agree with Simon's (much) earlier vision of a unified Zope.org Wiki.
> I'm still not a big Wiki fan, but unifying the non-development Wiki's
> instead of having many tiny ones is better.  I still think a lot of what
> we may want (or may have wanted) Wikis for on the current Zope.org site
> can be satisfied with good editor setups and commentable pages.  CMF's
> document system which doesn't require sudden switching to the ZMI makes
> editable pages easier.

Another good point.

> If it's meant to just be a standalone document, I'd rather have a
> standalone document than an entire Wiki that exists purely to support
> that one page.  If we want it to be a Wiki page, then we should come up
> with a canonical content Wiki on the site and put it in there
> (...zope.org/wiki/RoadMap).

After reading your comments, im +1 on a single Document, +0.5 on a Zwiki
and +0.8 on a Wiki page.

~dc