[ZWeb] (Simple) feature request: mail-to link for list archives

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:41:30 -0500

> Dear Zope-web:
>
> I believe it would be very, very desirable to have mail-to and reply-to
> links in the mailing list archives section.  I do not subscribe but do
> browse and, on occasion, am inspired enough to post.  It would be a
> great convenience to have a mail-to (new thread) and reply-to (reply to
> currently displayed post) links to ease the process.
>
> -=-
>
> While I'm at it, one more (simple) feature request:
>
> It would be desirable for browsing if the "Next message:" link was
> stationary (so that the mouse could stay stationary instead of having
> to track it from message to message).  It already does stay stationary
> under most circumstances (so that's good).  It would be nice for it to
> be perfect.  The two situations which cause problems are:
>
> 1.  beginning of messages (when there is no previous message), so next
> message migrates up a line.  This could be avoided by leaving a blank
> line or inactive link for "Previous message:" for that circumstance.
>
> 2.  The message title grows to more than one line (or shrinks from more
> than one line).  In these cases, all the buttons bounce down (or up) as
> the case may be.  This issue could be alleviated by putting the
> button-links above the title.  I'm not sure about aesthetics, but I'd
> certainly find it more functional (and would take function over form,
> if choosing).
>
> Other than these minor tweaks, I'd say the interface is very pleasant
> to use.  The mail-to/reply-to would be a godsend (increased
> participation and all that), and the navigation tweaks a significant
> upgrade.
>
> Thanks,
>
> = Joe =

I believe Zope-web uses Mailman, which uses Pipermail as the default
archive browser.  Unfortunately, AFAIK nobody seems to have time to
add features to Pipermail... :-(

You may want to send your feedback to the feature request tracker for
Mailman on SourceForge; if you can't do that, you can mail it to the
mailman-developers list.