[ZWeb] Zope.org and New zope.org status

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:11:07 -0500

> just another idea: Don't invent the wheel again...:)

I'm desperately trying not to, but your suggestion won't work.

> Why don't we set up a world-wide cluster of ZEO-clients? The
> ZEO-server lives at Zope.org and mirrors from around the world will
> connect as ZEO-clients. So we have REAL mirrors with all
> content/management without muddling with syncing via
> filesystem-exports/imports etc.

I think this will be too slow; ZEO assumes significant bandwidth
between client and server, and caching doesn't always help (e.g. not
when you are updating the ZODB, and Wikis update frequently).

Also, the current ZODB release doesn't have any security for ZEO,
which kills the idea right there.  There are patches that add
security, but PythonLabs has reviewed those and they need work -- for
which we haven't had have time so far, given that there are no Zope
Corp customers where this is an issue (they use firewalls instead).

> To sync the Zope-Instances (the python-sources) (ZEO likes that...:)) we
> can simply use CVS.

Sounds like a coordination nightmare.

> Setting this up should be no big problem, I guess...;)

Famous last words.

> And this way the whole game would be a real example for: Zope rocks!

Let's not go there.