[ZWeb] Zope.org and New zope.org status

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:03:28 +0100

On dimanche, jan 12, 2003, at 19:54 Europe/Paris, george donnelly wrote:

>> From: Paul Everitt <paul@eurozope.org>
>> ZC could dispel the appearance of ignoring the zope-web community by
>> putting the Plone decision up for community discussion.
> or not make it just a plone vs cmf decision but make a request for 
> opinions,
> and put up a page on zope.org where people can post their 
> ideas/comments?

Actually, you and Sidnei both have a better proposal than me.  This is 
CMF, so it means skins, meaning it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Still, it would indeed be interesting to find out what the customer 
(the community) thinks.  We're having this discussion here on zope-web. 
  Perhaps it could be expanded to ZopeZen, where we could do a poll?

> btw I'm coming around to the Plone proposal FWIW.

Well, your version of it at least. :^)

I think the biggest question is: can we get volunteers not named Sidnei 
to test the theory and give the community something to evaluate?  

>> It would be *really* a benefit if this zope 3 site was hosted out in 
>> the
>> community.  ZC's sysadmin resources are spread thin and focused on
>> paying customers.  This would be a good, small step towards 
>> distributing
>> the work around.
> ahem, not to sound too self-serving, but we (zettai.net) are setting 
> up some
> new servers in a dc in san francisco with level3 bandwidth (among 
> others)
> and would be interested in bidding on this...

I don't think it's self-serving at all.  Zope needs all the support it 
can get.  Besides, I think your site is cool. :^)

Maybe there should be a "zope.net" idea, where we could tap into the 
community as a large, loosely-coupled content management system.  
Others are doing it, obviously Zope is capable.  Certainly not 
something to discuss actively in the next three months though, until 
after nzo launches.