[ZWeb] Re: [Zope-Annce] NZO Alpha2 Announcement

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:16:44 +0200

Sidnei da Silva wrote:

 > Howdy,
 >
 > Im announcing that the Alpha2 of NZO is ready, and can be found at
 > http://dev.nzo.zope.org

This release looks really, really strong!  I've filed a few issues
already, but here are some more general questions:

1) Relevance ranking.  This was the number one complaint in Seb's
survey.  Some quick tests imply that the search results are better, but
I'm curious if this is accidental or intentional.  Will nzo have better
search results than czo?

2) Caching/Apache.  It appears that alpha2 is direct-to-Zope.  Will the
beta, or the final, sit behind Apache/mod_proxy, Squid, or neither?

3) Gameplan for common user management.  Will the collector and other
zope.org sites have a common username/password system?

4) Will DAV be available?  Yeh, I'm a true sucker for punishment. :^)
Or, FTP?  If so on FTP, is it the same kind of
go-through-an-intermediary as czo?

5) Zope.org used to publish some statistics from the Apache log file,
but it appears to be gone now.  Are those statistics still being
collected?

Note that, based on my most recent recollection, bayMountain tosses out
log file data once a week.  This might have changed.

Zope.org traffic, trending over time, is a very important piece of
information, IMO.

 > Whats new on this milestone:
 >
 >  - DBTab
 >  - QueueCatalog
 >  - Zope-2.6-branch
 >  - ZODB 3.2b1
 >  - Python 2.2.3

Is this using any optional build stuff, such as the new malloc?

 >  - ZopeProfiler
 >  - CMFLDAP

Ahh, perhaps this answers (3) above?

 >  - Plone 1.0.3
 >  - ZWiki-latest
 >  - Many leaks fixed by Shane. Thanks Shane!!!!

Yummy indeed!

 > The following issues are known at the moment:
 >
 >     * Registration is read-only for now.
 >     * The "lost password" functionality is disabled as well
 >     * Requester on collector issues was not yet migrated

It was *really* cool to see collector issues show up in search results.

 >     * Most objects have the creator set to 'sidnei'. That will be
 >     fixed before the final version
 >     * Most links on the frontpage don't work yet
 >
 > For bug reports, please refer to http://collector.zope.org/ZopeOrg

I'm putting "alpha2" in the version field.  Good enough?

 > Please *test* as much as you can and report bugs.

Hehehe
.
 > The next tentative milestones are:
 >
 >   - Beta by June 25
 >   - Final on early July (if possible on the 4th)
 >
 > As usual, volunteers are welcome, specially now that the great
 > majority of the technical issues were resolved.

Alas, most of us still can't legally participate directly.  Or did you
mean simply testing and reporting bugs?

--Paul