[ZWeb] Front Page & Other Changes

Mark mark at zopemag.com
Sun Aug 22 15:00:50 EDT 2004

Hello Chris,

On Aug 22, 2004, at 9:50 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>> I would prefer you did such changes in a 'sandbox': create a static
>> copy of the frontpage, apply changes to that HTML code and ask people
>> first - instead of changing a lot of files in a way, that cannot be
>> rolled back easily.
>
> It's one file. It WAS changed in a sandbox first and I asked the
> contents of #plone and #zope,
> The changes are also easy to undo should people really whine too much.

When it was said on this mailinglist that changes should be announced
on #zope and #plone I had understood this to be for the purpose of
letting people know when people were working on the "live site" of
zope.org on things like software updates / checking in changes so that
people aren't making changes on the site at the same time. This was as
far as I understood it not the place to have discussions on
structure/navigation changes to Zope.org (exceptions being something
like IRC)

In my opinion this is not a good place to discuss changes to the
navigation or structure of any part of Zope.org. Obvious reasons
include that some of us don't constantly hang out on IRC, we are in
different time zones and therefore email and this mailinglist are the
proper channels to do a real discussion.

> and the people around me at the time.

What does that mean. People around you at the time?

> But, apart from that, it sounds like you have no problem with the
> changes, right?

I like that the news are at the top again but it sure didn't make the
layout any prettier.
What I think the front page really needs is a better structure. Take
the Ads for example.
The titles are mostly repetitive. "Zope Technical Solutions Training @
xxx" We could free up a lot of space by adopting a format like:

Zope Technical Solutions Training

September 7-10, California, USA (Cignex)
August 9-12, India (ZeoMega)
August 16-20, Brazil (Hipercursos)

That would be a major improvement.

Cheers,