[ZWeb] [VOTE] "Zope Exits" policy

Mark mark at zopemag.com
Wed Aug 25 10:02:02 EDT 2004

Hello Chris,

On Aug 25, 2004, at 2:56 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> Today is Wednesday. I'd like a week to contact several hundred
>> ZopeMag subscribers and get a few more votes.
>
> Before you do that, please consider coming up with an alternative
> workable policy that requris no writing of code, is easy to implement
> and isn't likely to end up in "Company X got a link, so why doesn't my
> Company Y get a link"

Let me repeat this in the hope that it finally registers with you.
ZopeMag is not a company.  We are not asking for links
to beehive, Py (a popular Python publication) or anything else we do.

I think there is disagreement here about what belongs in Zope Exits and
some of us don't believe that for example something being a commercial
or framework should be a reason to be deleted from the Zope Exits. It
should be based on merit by either being unique or a major
accomplishment for the Zope community.

Removing Plone from Zope Exits seems insane to me -- this is one of the
greatest Zope successes to date. Probably more people have installed
Zope because of Plone than any other Zope based technology.

I am for a Zope Exits that looks like this:

- ZopeWiki
- ZopeZen
- ZopeLabs
- Plone
- Silva
- CPS
- ZopeMag or Weekly News
- Zopera
- Zopeur.org

The ZUGs make for fine exits but there are too many of them to have a
complete list on every page of the site.
Otherwise I would definitely keep them as exits.

That's a short term solution. Long term I think we should have some
kind of system that either:

- is more democratic (nominations / voting) and being listed a Zope
Exit is a recognition of some kind
- is some kind of content type which would include work similar to what
Michael suggested.

I have no problem with "are not centered on one particular vendor"
because this doesn't apply to sites like
ZopeMag, Zopera, ZopeZen. Which are all "centered" on Zope/Plone. I am
certainly against removing frameworks
if they are enormously popular and primary drivers for Zope adoption.

And I am also against sites being ruled out if they offer optional (and
i stress optional) services which they may charge a fee for. Their is
no telling what some companies may come up with that may make a cool
zope site even better. Refusing to even consider a commercial site
seems to me like voluntarily cutting of an arm.

> cheers,
>
> Chris - people should have to pass a test to be able to vote in any
> democracy ;-)

wow. sometimes you scare me. that Fox News reference was supposed to be
a joke. please hold open the vote for one week.

cheers,

Mark