[ZWeb] Front Page & Other Changes

Andrew Sawyers andrew at zope.com
Wed Aug 25 10:05:26 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:

> Ken "I am evil, so don't mess with me" Manheimer wrote:
>
>> I think there's some increasing misunderstanding about the point of
>> the IRC
>> communication.
>>
>> I thought the idea is to use IRC is for collision avoidance.  When you're
>> actually doing some management activity on zope.org, first log into
>> IRC and
>> let others there know where you're heading.  Then, keep an eye on the IRC
>> session while you're working.  If everyone does this, then you'll be able
>> to notice each other and, well, avoid colliding.  (Ack, nack - rts?  Cts.
>> Dtr xoff!  Xon, dsr.  Ten-four, rover, out and over. :)
>

> Yep, that's the idea, however I don't see any harm in having realtime
> discussions there about zope.org too. Maybe the channel should be logged
> somewhere, then people who work offline could catch up?
No.  I'll shut up then :)  I think zope-web is a good place for people
who are interested and willing to do work.  Lurkers should stay away.
That said, would be nice if some of us had ops on our channels, no?  :)

>> There's no need to restrict discussions about ideas and design choices to
>> real-time.  Use a mailling list, and give a chance for people who've
>> invested time and energy to participate.
>

> I'm not talking about restricting anything, I think both should be used
> to full effect.
I think, while painful to start, we're seeing good progress.  Chris
likes to act.  Others like to think.  We will find a happy medium I'm
certain (or we'll send Ken over to England....I warned you he was evil,
so don't mess with him).

> Of course not, my point is that lots of thinking has already been done,
> and I think the structure of Zope.org is just fine, although a few
> category pages could be pruned out. I think the main work needs to be
> removal of cruft and editing and updating of content...
I sort of agree, but also there are people who have stepped up and
volunteered to do some of the work you don't think needs doing - so let
them do it.

>> I hear you objecting to overwrought and overambitious designs, and think
>> that's a wise caution which we should all take to heart.
>

> Good :-)

> Well, I did actually do all of the above...
> 1. I proposed the changes to this list, with a "please comment now and
> don't just whine later" ending
> 2. I did a a mockup, and showed it to as many people as I could in the
> time I had.
> 3. I coped the mockup into the live version.

Part of the problem was the lists - I've fixed that, so response time is
actually useful now :)

Andrew

--
Zope Corporation