[ZWeb] [VOTE] "Zope Exits" policy

Mark mark at zopemag.com
Tue Aug 31 05:32:05 EDT 2004

Hey,

On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> I am for a Zope Exits that looks like this:
>> - ZopeWiki
>> - ZopeZen
>> - ZopeLabs
>> - Plone
>> - Silva
>> - CPS
>> - ZopeMag or Weekly News
>> - Zopera
>> - Zopeur.org
>
> ...and what about Icoya? Squishdot? Confera? ;-)
>
> My point is, for this policy to be "fair", it becomes way to long.
> I personally feel the above list is still too long, and even with my
> policy in place, it'd might get too long at some point. At that point,
> your voting system would help. But, particularly if it includes
> commercial or single product sites, it will always be open to
> accusations of vote rigging, unfairness and the like...

Then we address those concerns. I don't think it is impossible for us
to come up with a system that works. Needs drive development.

>> The ZUGs make for fine exits but there are too many of them to have a
>> complete list on every page of the site.
>
> That's why they have their own section...

Groovy.

>> ZopeMag, Zopera, ZopeZen. Which are all "centered" on Zope/Plone. I
>> am certainly against removing frameworks
>> if they are enormously popular and primary drivers for Zope adoption.
>
> The thing is, they aren't. They are drivers for that framework's
> adoption, which doesn't see much return to zope itself...

I don't think that is true at all of ZopeMag, Zopera and ZopeZen.

>> And I am also against sites being ruled out if they offer optional
>> (and i stress optional) services which they may charge a fee for.
>
> I honestly can't believe you say that with a straight face. Look at
> the front page of zopemag.com, I see ONE free piece of content. Even
> the logo you use to indicate free content (a fly fishing hook unless
> I'm mistaken) indicates that they're just there to hook people into
> subscriptions.

Once again you are not familiar with our format. We don't publish all
of our content at one time but throughout a quarter.
Within less than a month three more article will become free. So chill

But my point actually had little to do with ZopeMag and a lot more to
do about keeping options open. I don't want to rule out resources that
people come up with -- which may become popular and they may augment by
adding options which they decide to charge for. Some things can't be
done without money.

>> Their is no telling what some companies may come up with that may
>> make a cool zope site even better. Refusing to even consider a
>> commercial site seems to me like voluntarily cutting of an arm.
>
> ...see my comments about zope.net, ZSP, etc.

Certainly not against your proposal. But at this point zope.org is all
we have got. Once zope.net is running we can certainly consider this.

Cheers,

Mark