[ZWeb] Zope.Org Docs Page Draft

Mark mark at zopemag.com
Mon Jul 5 03:28:58 EDT 2004

Hello Jens,

I don't think you "get it". Yes it mentions ZopeMag (because it is the
*only*
Zope Magazine after all -- why shouldn't it be mentioned?). But the
"For a lists of
articles published by Magazines and website throughout the world click
here."
has not one iota to do with ZopeMag -- see:

http://www.zope.org/Resources/Articles/

for an example of what someone (don't know who) previously tried to
start for
Zope.org with links to lots of Zope articles in Magazines, websites
world-wide.

Articles by their very nature cover material that you will not find in
Books and are
a valuable resource.

On Jul 5, 2004, at 1:16 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> I don't see the need for that "Articles" section. I fully understand
> that you would like more exposure for the ZopeMag, but I believe one
> reference (like the one for that "SuperGuide for Newbies") is plenty.
> That "Articles" section is nothing but free advertising for a for-pay
> periodical.

Even if I wasn't involved in a Magazine about Zope I would strongly
argue for a balance
of "contemporary" resources (articles) and reference (books).

I'd also like to point out that ZopeMag a "for-pay" Magazine publishes
much of its content for free.
For example this quarter 4 articles/product/reviews/guides will be
released for free. So consider
me biased but I would argue that we have a lot more articles/guides etc
that are worthwhile letting the community know about -- but the
SuperGuide for Newbies is the only one that makes sense to link to from
this page.

As for the SuperGuide for Newbies being all about exposure -- if their
was a single relatively
up-to-date Introduction for Zope Newbies that wasn't published by
ZopeMag I would want
it immediately added under the New Users heading feel free to point
more out to this list or take the time to write one. I'm still looking
for volunteers to help write the Overview for Contributing/Community
Work for example.

Cheers,

Mark