[ZWeb] Reply-To mailing lists policy

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Feb 2 16:12:16 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:00, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2005, at 21:53, Chris McDonough wrote:
> > I actually do like the "reply to sender, cc to list" as-is now, if only
> > because when I respond to a list message, and people respond to that,
> > their responses can show up in my Inbox rather than in my zope list
> > folder.  It's easier for me to keep track of what's "important" that
> > way, although I think it's exactly what you're complaining about.
> > Remember, though: you do have a killfile. ;-)
>
> It is the same, but in an inverse way: List mail is never really
> important and gets sorted into folders. I don't want it directly in my
> Inbox, which is for important stuff.

I think if anyone sends me a mail directly, they probably consider it
pretty important, whether it's part of a list discussion or not.  But
whether I consider it important enough is a different story. ;-)  But
regardless I use spam filters and a killfile to deal with that.

> But that's not the point. The point is that IMHO good etiquette means
> you don't CC list mail to a person if that person is already on the
> list.

Hmmm.  I think I just broke that etiquette rule with this response.  But
this is the way I've been responding to all Zope list posts for the last
five-six years and I've not had anyone yell at me yet or even complain,
until now.  I wouldn't be upset if you responded to me as part of the
sender list in a reply-all (I'd actually prefer it...)

>  I have to go through hoops to get there. Good etiquette also
> means you keep list mail on the list itself, which won't happen if you
> simply hit "Reply".
>
> *ALL* other lists I am on (and there are tons) handle it the other way,
> where Reply To is always the list itself.

I'm subscribed to a number of them too, but at least for the ones I'm on
it's a mixed bag.  The python lists, the plone lists, the gnucash lists,
do it the reply-to-sender way.  The fedora and ubuntu lists do it the
reply-to-list way.  If "others do it that way" is the imperative
argument, I don't think it's a slam dunk.

In short, shrug. ;-)

- C