[ZWeb] Zope.org - take 3?

Andrew Sawyers andrew at zope.com
Tue Jan 25 11:35:19 EST 2005

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:10:43AM -0500, Andrew Sawyers wrote:
>
>>off zope.org and move it elsewhere?  Zope wikis, zope book, software
>>projects, tips, ad naseum.
>

> I can't speak for any of those except the one I've been involved
> with - the zope book. Chris M. decided to start it on plope.com
> for two reasons:  1) zope.org at that point was really unusably
> slow, and had been for some time. You just could not get anything
> done.
> 2) alpha-testing some modifications to the Backtalk product.
>
> Actually IIRC, #2 was an afterthought.
I didn't mean these were "wrong" approaches; I think they make sense.  I
think the "wrong" way is to have duplication of effort where one is
easily confused as the de facto authoritative source.  A prime example
is the zope book.  People come to zope.org and find a zope book there.
"We", i.e. the communinity, know that chris is hosting the zope book.
So confusion and chaos arise.  In these duplication spaces, I would
remove all existence of the one and point to that which is the
authority.  Maybe have a mirror process setup.  Not certain of the exact
solution at this point.....just expressing my position.

>>I proposed nearly two years ago internally
>>that we should make zope.org nothing more then the software and
>>documentaiton site for Zope the product.  Focus small and concise - and
>>doing that sole job well.  Everything else we should support and link to
>>off site where people are more willing and capable of supporting the
>>various tasks.  I would say, ala php.net
>>I still think this is the best idea, especially with the resources and
>>continued condition of zope.org maintainers.
>

> What is there currently on zope.org that doesn't fall under "software and
> documentation"?
Heh, a lot of orphaned kruft :)  10 pounds of spam?

Andrew
--
Zope Managed Hosting
Systems Administrator/Software Engineer