[ZWeb] Re: website design discussion

Tom Von Lahndorff tom at modscape.com
Mon Aug 28 11:19:38 EDT 2006

Sorry Chris, I didnt mean to harsh on you. That was meant in fun as
much as it is in truth.

I dont mind any negative feedback, but what Im looking for more like:

- What content do we need and where should it go.
- Suggestions for better functionality (like the title bars of a
table should be clickable to rank items by that criteria).
- This page blows up in my browser or the nav doesnt work.
- Suggestions for homepage content (News and updates RSS Feeds,
Testmonials...).
- Editing of text if some information is too wordy or confusing.
- Site structure and content boxes, wireframes.

Im trying to avoid things like:

- I dont like that color. (Unless its really nasty this is 100%
subjective)
- Fixed width vs. Fluid layouts. (This debate has been around since
tables. We need to just pick one. For every person that doesnt like
the space on the side of the page with fixed width there will be
another person who doesnt like the extra white space at the bottom of
every page on fluid width layout)
- Anything thats really subjective issue that can be debated ad
infinitum.

Im trying to avoid design by committee. Ive worked on like hundreds
of TV and Radio websites and basically they all look a$$. This is
because everyone from the morning show host to the general manager to
the salespeople all b!tch and moan until they get what they want and
the end product is hideous frankensite. I dont think that would
happen here but I want put down the hammer anywhere I see it start to
creep in.

The big difference here as well is that the site will be built on
Zope! This means was can all tweak it to our hearts content because
it's built smart, on a flexible and scalable backend. Instead of
trying to get something *great* out of the box, lets get up a *good*
site and go from there and make it great. Lets get it up and running
and functioning and focus on the content wrapped a good and nice
design and go from there...

I want to keep momentum on this.