[ZWeb] Zope 2 web site

Geoff Davis geoff at phds.org
Fri Feb 24 12:09:25 EST 2006

Hi all--

I think the idea of a Zope 3 web site rewrite is a great one.  However,
since Zope 2 is going to continue to be around for awhile, I am wondering
if we might be able to shore up the Zope 2 resources in a reasonable way?

Migrating all the community content sounds like a herculean task; I'm
talking about doing something with rather narrower scope.  Here is what I
propose:

* Create a new zope.org (or zope2.org) for Zope 2 that is focused on 2
things:
  1) Distribution of Zope 2 and related add-ons
  2) Documentation

* Maintain all the old community content in the current instance and bind
the two together using URL rewriting.

The Plone community has developed a couple of products for distributing
software (PloneSoftwareCenter) and for maintaining documentation
(PloneHelpCenter).  You can see these in action at
http://plone.org/products and http://plone.org/documentation ,
respectively.

I know that zope.org gets a lot of traffic; we also have a product for
making Plone play nicely with Squid.

I think that people in the Plone community would be willing to help out
with getting such a site set up.  The bigger task would be moving
community content to the new setup.

Is there any interest?

Geoff