[ZWeb] me too. so what to do ?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Mar 1 18:52:15 EST 2006

Jens Vagelpohl <jens <at> dataflake.org> writes:

> This isn't as easy as it seems, and simple provisioning of manpower
> is only one small part.

<snip red tape>

That's so incredibly stupid I can't believe no-one's ever done anything about
it. Considering that Zope is largely community-maintained, the community
deserves to have some more direct control over the website. As open source
developers, we surely all understand that if you make something sufficiently
hard, people won't bother even with the best of intentions. zope.org is so
miserable it deserves to die or at least be sectioned off to an old.zope.org and
locked down, with a new site that has had some proper thinking behind it in its
place.

My suggestion to the community would be to set up an unofficial Zope site for
the time being, running in whatever CMS they want to use, hell, using static
HTML in Apache if they wish, that presents the information they want to present
and provides the features they want to see, and gives them the power to do so.
When the Zope Foundation happens, they can take ownership and find a route
towards making such a site official by merging it with or letting it supplant
the existing site, if that's appropriate.

In open source, this is called forking and happens when the process around the
old project became too much misalgigned with the needs and wishes of the
community. I don't see why that project's outward facing website should be any
different. After all, it's the hard work of Jens and Stephan van W and Andreas
and Jim and Gary and Martijn and Stephan R and everyone else that drives Zope
forward (and most of those guys are not ZC employees). Do they not deserve to
have their efforts appropriately presented ... especially when there are people
willing in principle to spend their spare time doing that?

Martin