[ZWeb] Re: Grrr. zope.org wikis are evil.

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon Oct 9 13:29:11 EDT 2006

Hi Martijn, thanks for your response.  I'm replying on-list -

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim's answer about brittle mess on the mailing list makes it clear.
It makes his thinking clear, yes.  I'm not clear on why he thinks that
way. I would think: a zope.org that's so fragile it can't be touched by
Jim Fulton is intolerable, and if upgrading  a product risks breaking
some of it, so be it; the bits that broke were in the way. Big deal,
bring them back later; or not. But that's just my perspective; I won't
get to make this decision. :)

> What you need to do in order to get Apache access is contact Rob Page
> (rob at zope.com) (I've cc-ed him) and get and sign the agreement with ZC
> that you won't break their hosting environment.
>
> Also: subscribe to zope-web at zope.org if you haven't already.
I'm here of course, but via gmane so you won't see me in the subscriber
list.

> Once we actually have responsive community members to fulfill
> technical tasks, we can make progress. If you'd be willing to take on
> some Apache config work on the current infrastructure I'd be very
> grateful!
Regarding this and the above - thanks for the guidance. I have these

- I am carefully volunteering for very specific, well-defined tasks I
know I understand and can keep motivated to work on; right now that is a
zwiki upgrade. (Or, at least understanding the conditions under which it
could happen.)

- Also I think you have good people already looking into apache (Jens,
Andrew, Justizin).

- I've seen this twisty passage before. I'm pretty sure I signed an
agreement for website work a few years back. It didn't give me
permission to really fix things then and I don't think it would now.

- I understand why the paperwork exists, but I think it represents some
bureaucracy that is near the root of the problem with zope.org. I feel
to engage with it only repeats the cycle of private email, delay, loss
of momentum, and prolongs the bigger problem. Give a volunteer a login,
and (s)he'll get to work..

- If Rob will (re)post the url of the official current version of the
appropriate agreement, I will read it with a fresh mind and reconsider.
I do want to help in some way.