[ZWeb] Re: Grrr. zope.org wikis are evil.

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Mon Oct 9 14:26:46 EDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 02:00:24PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
| I don't have any mystic power that allows me to understand any Zope
| application.  I am also not a CMF developer.

That's something I never understood.

It's not only a problem with Jim, but people that can understand the
most obscure issues about memory management or deep C-level hackery,
or insane operating system level APIs or and Linux kernel issues,
sometimes with 5-10 years of Python experience, just state that they
don't have enough knowledge to debug a random application.

C'mon. There's not any magic going on there. The hardest issues you
will face are Acquisition and Page Templates. Sometimes you have to
just do it. Several times I've found myself in this situation. There's
nothing that can't be understood by stepping through pdb all the way
from BaseRequest to the guts of an application.

I know it's tedious, and that it might take several tries until you
realize what's exactly going on. But it is doable. There's a
difference between 'I can't do it' and 'I don't want to do it'. Being
in the latter group is fine, but I would say it's highly questionable
for an experienced developer to put himself in the first group without
a reasonable excuse.

Sorry for the rant. I don't want to be pointing fingers. I'm just
tired of hearing the same excuses over and over everytime someone
mentions touching the software behind zope.org.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214