[ZWeb] DNS still fishy?

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Thu Oct 12 08:57:13 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2006, at 08:03, Justizin wrote:
> > This is wrong, most of these slaves never coordinated with me to
> > receive a copy of the zone.  only ns.qutang.net has a copy.
> >
> > ns*.zope.com have semi-identical copies, but have not transferred the
> > latest zone from zoneedit afaik.
>
> What do you mean "never coordinated with you"? I never even got
> notified that my server is indeed on the list, and unless this works
> like "normal" DNS, how to manually get the zone.

"normal" is subjective here.  Of course, by "normal", you mean BIND-centric.

In any case, ZoneEdit does not send NOTIFY requests.  I tried to start
a thread on this last tuesday or so and received no replies.  Time
marches on.

Anyway, everything except these hosts need to be removed from the rotation:

  ns1.zoneedit.com
  ns7.zoneedit.com
  ns.qutang.net
  ns*.zope.com

I'd love to see more backups once they have copies of the zone.  If
you want to grab a copy of the zone, you'll have to transfer manually
from ns1.zoneedit.com or ns7.zoneedit.com, from one of these IP
addresses:

  64.34.177.88
  69.20.0.180
  8.7.96.28
  70.84.6.50
  63.240.213.250
  70.168.181.3

I offered last week to try and set up a NOTIFY mechanism from my own
system based on an hourly cronjob, but there was no interest, so I
decided not to prioritize it.  I'll have to write a couple of scripts
for this, so it's not going to happen overnight anyway.

Three nameservers is fine for now.  Eight would be far better.

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter